You know it’s not good news when ur best photo is from Halloween 2008
Source: SoundCloud / Antonio Pinto
Apple is like the stud at the bar who’s surrounded by girls. Microsoft is the guy who asks “can I buy you drink?”
Barbasol making an international push? Here’s an idea. The 3 mock-up ads feature one common theme - trust.
Men around the world trust their barber to do what’s best for their facial hair. Barbers are known to use the best products that, in their opinion, do the best job. Owning ‘professional’ grade products assures men that they can achieve the same results on their own, as they would at a barber shop.
Such ads could actually work better in the home market better than foreign ones. The last thing anyone would expect to see at a local barber shop in Sri Lanka, is a classic american shave foam that pioneered the foam aerosol market. Could publicizing the international reach of a quality product elevate Barbasol’s brand identity in the US? I’ll bet on it.
Credit to the photographers whose photos are used in these mock posters. Quality is free.
Wish I could sync my videos to a soundtrack this well.
The Perfect Shave on the cheap
Lately, I’ve been noticing a lot of attention being given to men’s grooming. In particular, a better shave every time. Obviously a lot of this is influenced by brands trying to up sell their line of ‘premium’ shave products. I’ve tried some of these and ended up being deeply disappointed in my attempt to find any good reason behind the ‘premium’ investment for such products.The claims and margins are quite ridiculous.
My dad always used a shave brush. I agree that there’s no better way to shave than with one of these. However, there’s a few extra steps that could ensure the best shave ever. Here’s how:
- Face wash: Use your favorite type, but just be sure it’s not one that dries out your face after rinse off. I personally like to use Clearasil oil-free daily face wash. Occasionally I use an exfoliating face wash, one that has tiny scrubbing particles in it. Using the exfoliating version on a regular basis may not be a very good idea because of how rough it can be. DON’T USE: Every Man Jack
- Pre-Shave Oil: There are a lot of pre shave oils out there. Small bottles, high price point. Basically, all you need is a mix of castor oil and some natural oil like olive oil or coconut oil. The castor oil softens the beard and is actually pretty good for hair in general. I went to a local Indian store and picked up a bottle of Dabur Vatika for under $4. This brand is a major hair product in India and it works great for our purpose. Use just enough for a thin coat.
- Shaving brush: This is the only item I would consider paying a premium for. A good shaving brush does wonders to lift up the strands of hair and even out the coat of shaving foam. Cheap varierties often have bristles that fall off or get stuck to your face. A good Badger shave brush will have genuine badger hair that is soft and manufactured with quality. Take time with this and it will deliver results.
- Shave Foam: I’ve used a lot of shaving creams/gels/foams. Out of all the varieties, the single brand that provides the best experience in terms of lather and smoothness is Barbasol. Stumbled upon it at a hotel room and never went back. Barbasol offers 2 main varieties; both work equally well. Not to mention, it is super CHEAP!
- Razor: Whatever razor you use, be sure to prep it under hot water and rinse it regularly. Razor brands recommend replacing the blades after the indicator strip has been depleted…nonsense. You can use those blades long after the strip disappears. My personal favorite - the straight razor using disposable blades. These are much cheaper and provide very close shaves. Just be careful when you get to the neck.
TIP: For the closest shave, follow a 2 step process of shaving in both directions. First, perform the recommended shave in the downward direction. Then repeat these steps, only this time, shaving in the upward direction. Prefecto!
- Lotion: Most people use after shave lotion. I prefer to use a good, non-greasy face lotion. This prevents the skin from over drying while preventing the freshly shaven surface from contamination. This department is driven by personal choice and I don’t have any one favorite. Neutrogena has the attributes I’m looking for
How cool is that?
Michele Bachmann is trying to pass this law that requires us to use fluorescent lights. She probably commutes from Stillwater to the state capitol in her Chevy Avalanche everyday and she wants me to use fluorescent lights? Psshh
Man, I love shoes! Here’s an amazing insight into the art of hand making men’s shoes (courtesy Louis Vuitton)